Skip to main content

Canadian airline, Westjet, has made some clever YouTube clips over the years, some of which we've featured on TravelGumbo.  This might be one of their better efforts.

It's rare to see, at least in my opinion, such an effective combination of charity, Christmas cheer, and letting folks know exactly where your company flies (ie. good self-promotion). 

If you have trouble viewing that videoclip, here's the link to the youtube site:

Twitter: @DrFumblefinger

"We do not take a trip, a trip takes us".  John Steinbeck, from Travels with Charlie

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's great video, and portrays WestJet as a different kind of Airline, but WestJet lost it's luster for me when they announced they are charging for a check bags on flights to Europe starting January 6th. 

It was more the statements they made when announcing the charge that made me realize they are like other airlines. WestJet CEO Gregg Saretsky said this about the new fees in a conference call announcing 3rd quarter results : “Our competitors went here years ago and we’ve been late to the party,” He also said, “We’re not going to apologize for charging $25 for a first checked bag. These fares are significantly lower than the market has seen.”

If you want a thing done, ask a busy man.

I agree with your comment, Rob.  That was a stupid and arrogant way to deal with an issue that really ticks the public off.   I used to be a very loyal WestJet patron, but I've switched to Air Canada (partially because they take me anywhere in the world, more or less).  

That said, I still think it's a great video!

Twitter: @DrFumblefinger

"We do not take a trip, a trip takes us".  John Steinbeck, from Travels with Charlie

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.