I'll include the info  below from the DHS website on traveling with an Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) under certain conditions. Has anyone done this and does Mexico and Canada accept those for  EDL's for entry easily? I like avoiding taking a passport, if I can, because I wrinkle the pages easily and worry about moisture. So far I haven't gotten the passport card, but I would get the EDL when it becomes available in a state I'm living in.


According to the DHS website:

"State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of  identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive."


"The Department has worked with Canadian provincial and federal officials to pursue enhanced drivers licenses as an alternative to the Canadian passport.  Four Canadian provinces (British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec) are issuing EDLs to Canadian citizens. Canadian citizens can present an EDL when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry. "


If you want a thing done, ask a busy man.

Original Post

Most of the people I know who have this license are those who don't want to travel internationally and who live near the Canada-US border.  There are a number of town literally split by the border and people migrate across daily to visit friends or work.  I think these licenses are intended for them.  Same for the Mexico USA border.

If you travel internationally and have a passport, no point paying extra for the license for most folks.  Passports have become more sophisticated and if you read near the back page you are warned to treat it like any other portable electronic device.  Easiest solution is to get a simple passport cover that prevents it from moisture and getting bent.  Here's a link to some relative inexpensive ones on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb...3Apassport+protector

Twitter: @DrFumblefinger

"We do not take a trip, a trip takes us".  John Steinbeck, from Travels with Charlie

Thanks Dr Fumblefinger. I have used  passport covers before and that's a good reminder for me. Even with the passport covers though, my passports have looked pretty rough after several years. And now in the US, you can't add pages .

I thought the EDL's were relatively cheap and if it saves me some wear and tear on the passport  and passport pages, I'm willing get one.

If you want a thing done, ask a busy man.

Add Reply