Skip to main content

Has anyone used their Enhanced Drivers License to travel to Canada or Mexico?

I'll include the info  below from the DHS website on traveling with an Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) under certain conditions. Has anyone done this and does Mexico and Canada accept those for  EDL's for entry easily? I like avoiding taking a passport, if I can, because I wrinkle the pages easily and worry about moisture. So far I haven't gotten the passport card, but I would get the EDL when it becomes available in a state I'm living in.


According to the DHS website:

"State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of  identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive."


"The Department has worked with Canadian provincial and federal officials to pursue enhanced drivers licenses as an alternative to the Canadian passport.  Four Canadian provinces (British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec) are issuing EDLs to Canadian citizens. Canadian citizens can present an EDL when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry. "

If you want a thing done, ask a busy man.

Last edited by Travel Rob
Original Post