Sawai Madhopur district of Rajasthan is an ultimate destination of nature lovers. Be it forest or natural landscape or beautiful lakes, this district has it all which attacks all the nature lovers around the world. Among its noticeable tourist spots, Surwal Lake deserves a special mention. Located 15 kilometers away from the main city Sawai Madhopur, this shallow lake is surrounded by variety of flora and fauna. Surrounded few villages and firms, serene view of the lake, fresh and lively air makes this lake a heaven for all the nature lovers.
This place is famous for bird’s photography. More than 50 species of birds can be spotted in this lake during the sunrise. Birds like White Breasted Kingfisher, Grey Heron, Common Kingfisher, Bar Headed Geese, Indian Robbin, Common babbler, Oriental Magpie Robin, Jungle babbler, Red Wattled Lapwing, Egret, River Tern and Stilt are quite common here. In the winter season a large number of migratory birds including Flamingoes, Painted Storks, Sarus Cranes, Spoonbills and Grey Geese also visits this lake. Bird watcher and photographers can visit this waterbody throughout the year except April to June as the lake usually dries out in this time.
- Come with your camera, as this location is absolutely perfect for capturing magnificent colourful birds.
- Be prepare to walk in order to explore this huge lake.
- Try to visit this lake as early as possible to enjoy the stunning sunrise.
- There is no entry fees and travellers can visit anytime of the day.
- It will take approximately 2 hours to complete the spot.
- Travellers can enjoy the traditional local cuisines in the nearby restaurants.Few popular restaurants are Wild Dragon Dhaba, The Oberoi Vanyavilas, Niralo Gaun restaurant and Manish Restaurant.
- After this tourist spot you can also explore the near about places like Raj Bagh, Balas Sawai Mansingh Sanctuary, Amareshwar Mahadeo Temple, Rameshwaram Ghat and Chauth Mata Temple.
Best Time to Visit
If you really want to enjoy this natural lake visit this during winter. In the presence of migratory birds it looksmore beautifulthan ever. Avoid visiting during April to May, due to summer all water dried up.For the best experience visit between November to March.
Palace on Wheels
Winner of many prestigious awards including PATA Gold Award from the Pacific Asia Travel Association, Palace on Wheels train is a joint venture of Rajasthan Tourism Development Corporation and the Indian Railways with a motive to promote Rajasthan Tourism.Decorated by the Delhi based interior designer Monica Khanna, this express has 39 Deluxe and 2 Super Deluxe cabins all which are named after the famous palaces of Rajasthan like Chandra Mahal, Hawa Mahal, Moti Mahal, Kishori Mahal, Jogi Mahal etc.Equipped with modern facilities like attached bathroom, DVD Player, Wi-Fi, Climate controller etc this train has two restaurants and a bar cum lounge to treat your different moods. Traditionally attired staffs are also there for your smooth and easy journey.
From September to April every year this train runs on 7 nights and 8 days long trip which will take you to theSurwal Lake of Sawai Madhopur.
New Delhi-Jaipur-Ranthambore-Chittorgarh-Udaipur-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Bharatpur-Agra-New Delhi
The melodious sounds of birds, amazing view of the surrounding and clam pure water of the lake makes it a perfect destination for your next trip.