There are many places on Rapa Nui / Easter Island where the Moai, these amazing statues that seem to stare into the distance, can be found. Five locations are truly spectacular:
1. Ahu Tahai is only a short hike from the Hanga Roa. There you can see a Moai whose eyes were replaced, the only one on the island.
2. Reno Raraku, the quarry where all the Moai were carved from the volcanic stone, on the green slope of a volcano…
3. Ahu Tongariki, is with no less than 15 Moai lined up largest Ahu ever built.
4. Ahu Akivi is particularly special because its seven Moai are the only ones that face the sea.
5. Ahu Nau Nau features the perfectly chiseled faces of five Moai with a white sandy beach as a backdrop and palm trees all around it.