VisitBritian announced the winners in their 'Great names for Great Britain ' campaign The campaign used the existing trend of the Chinese to give literal names to favorite celebrities, places and foods. Over 2 million Chinese visited the campaign pages and 30 million Chinese watched the launch video .13,000 new names were suggested. Chinese visitors to Britain are spending £500 million annually and VisitBritian has plans to vastly increase that number.
Here are some of their announced naming highlights:
- "The Shard - Zhai Xing Ta (摘星塔) - A tower allowing us to pluck stars from the sky or London cone
- Savile Row - Gao Fu Shuai Zhi Lu (-高富帅之路) - Tall, rich, handsome street (refers to popular "meme" in China to describe the perfect man) or Custom made rich people street
- Blackpool – Le You Yuan – (乐游原)- A place that is happy to visit or Deep pool carnival - ‘Shen Chi Jia Nian Hua’
- Llanfair-pwllgwyn-gyllgo-gery-chwyrn-drobwll-llanty-silio-gogo-goch – Jian Fei Cun (健肺村)- Healthy-lung village
- Loch Ness Monster - Ni Si Hu An Ying - (尼斯湖暗影) - The Loch Ness shadow
- The Kelpies - Kai Po Ju Ma (铠魄巨马) - Glorious armoured giant horses (homophonic with Kelpies)
- Cerne Abbas Giant - Bai Se Da Luo Ben (白色大裸奔) - Big white streaker
- Hadrian’s Wall - Yong Heng Zhi Ji (-永恒之脊) - Wall of eternity
- Brighton Pavilion - Qiao Zhi He Yue Han De Yin Du Gong (乔治和约翰的印度宫) - George and John’s Indian palace
- Stoke-on-Trent - Wan Bo Tao Ci (万博陶瓷) - Diverse ceramics
- Brimham Rocks - Bo Han Qi Yan (博瀚奇岩) – A lot of rocks in different shapes"